Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Right Side Brain - Prologue


As a child, I was brought up by the thought that I’m artistic.

I draw.
I dance.
I write stories.

No wonder, one of the things that my mother told me then, which I remember most was I’ll be taking up "Fine arts" when I grow up. Did I mention that I’m left handed?

Thirty years later, I work in an office which deals with statistics. I finished a course which has the nature of analyzing. I had my graduate education which required me to master numbers. As my part-time job, it has been several semesters that I teach math and other math-related subjects. I am not complaining but dealing with it takes plus 90 percent more effort of my normal ability. I could not even say that I have indifferent feelings about mathematics. Actually, I have  ½ or 0.5 degree dislike about it.

This makes me think what happened in between.   

I no longer draw. What they saw in me was kindergarten skills, which was not developed. As a past time, I sketch clothes which I saw on TV and magazines and not my original ideas.

I was once a photoshop editor sensation in my former office, but once everyone knew how to do it, I lost my interest. Or, shall I say I was not able to keep pace of the application since I cannot afford to have higher capacity pc unit required of a higher version.

I had these last projects of updating bulletin board. I, myself was my major critic. They were disasters. The worse thing about it is to explain why they failed.

I still write stories, but not of indie film caliber. I just make up stories to my office mates’ (I suppose) delight.
I don’t dance, as in performance dance. I do lasing dance. In company parties which require each province have presentation, I oblige. To the choreographer’s thinking that I could pull it off, I would be given good parts. On two occasions, I had forgotten cues or led the group to wrong dance steps.

I no longer aspire to be a fashion designer in this era when stylists are the in thing. There are aspects of me which I wished to have turned out better, while there are things that I don’t intend to become anymore, at my age and status. There was never a point in my life that I came close to the fine arts route as envisioned by my mother. To date, the closest association that I got is having an officemate who has a daughter who is a fine arts graduate in UST.

Through all of these, this does not stop me from appreciating beauty. I’m into (looking at good) furniture (not much on interior design), lately. I still have this interest in good clothes (but not on creating or wearing them). In terms of films, I’ve always been a dear fan of Filipino films. Finally, I have to decide which of the hundreds paintings I downloaded shall finally be (printed and framed) on our wall.

These, I’ll be sharing to all. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment