Thursday, March 17, 2011

He Never Went Back to Japan



The closest thing I can associate myself with Japan is a relative – Kuya Jimmy who had gone there years ago.


He was the jack of all trades and everyone thinks, it is definite that he’ll make millions once he gets to work in Japan. This was in the 90’s, when Japan is the “it” place to go to and get rich (my apologies to Dubai, Qatar and Africa). Just when things are supposed to be greener on the other side, his story was in contrast. He fell from several floors in the construction site where he works.


Also, for many years there were talks that our house served as garrison of the Japanese, so it is inevitable to think about possibilities having treasures buried underground. But no one had an elaborate story about it. The war happened around in the 1940s. My parents being born in the later 1930s could have slight memories of it as a child – but refused to tell.


March 11, 2011, at about 2 in the afternoon, we were able to catch the breaking news about the tsunami in Japan. This is at the same time we are so engrossed preparing for a company outing – (of all places!) at the beach.


I find it bizarre that it was just a week ago that I’m on the search mode of the internet. I’m all geared up to gather information about the Philippine-Japan Scholarship grants to Filipino government employees. It was not the first time I do so. Ten years ago, that was my goal. It’s just that one requirement is that regular employment from the government is a must. I was a casual employee then, later job order and contractual, summing them all up for the period of nine years.


Long before I was a student, I’d occasionally read about it in the newspaper and in the long run lost interest in it due to lack of (the above) qualification. Years later, I would then (not only) meet (but rub elbows with) a person who had that (and other equally prestigious) scholarship. He’s my boss, our regional director –no less.


Evaluating the qualifications, I am such a league away from being that person capable of passing all the screenings. All these things and with what happened to Japan, I don’t know what to think right now. I just want think about things that have something to do about Japan.


While everyone wants to say piece of noteworthy comments about this, how nature takes its toll; that Japanese learns their lesson; and so, I am on a personal dilemma. It was such humane act that my concern is towards which of the two parties to attend to – the company outing (where I work full-time) or the Grand Foundation Ball of the College (where I work as part-time instructor) which are scheduled on the same night.


I came late to the Grand Foundation Ball of the College, I don’t know if there was a portion or a minute devoted to pray for the victims. Were they even aware of what happened, since I assume that the whole afternoon was spent for choosing the outfit to wear, beauty rest and make-up? For me, I am just glad to serve my purpose that day, to become advance party (to assist) in the company outing and see my students (not in school uniform but) in regal attire at the Ball.


My officemates are trying to rationalize why do I have to complicate things? Why try to be in both occasions (spending money and efforts to travel almost an hour) when I can simply spend the rest of the night at the beach to relax?


I have reasons.


One. Again, I want to see my students in formal attire.


Two. I even bought an outfit, had one of my pants repaired, had a hair cut the night before, and wear for the first time my new pair shoes for it. Hindi ako handa!


Lastly. Part of it is that it scares me (galore!) that we’re on a beach – and a tsunami happens somewhere else. Remember, earth is made up of three quarters water. Redundantly, hindi ako handa.


Back to closest association with Japan, we’re still trying to compute for Akihiro Sato’s age and laugh about the idea of him, being Aki, the baby introduced as the son of Kuya Jimmy. I even had a student who has a Japanese name (if not he’s real Japanese) who reminds me of him. We lost touch of him ever since her mother brought himwhen she left.


I would, in the days after, try to avoid watching the news. The television is tuned in to CNN at the office, an officemate is religiously hooked Al Jareeza (thanks for the photo below) in the internet and my wife is telling stories she watched from 24 Oras.

The disaster is too hard to deal with. The news is too hard to ignore.


Earthquake. Tsunami. Nuclear plant leak (then, blast).


No matter how Japan says handa sila, they can not be that invincible for this magnitude.


In the Philippines, our household in particular, life goes on. At least if it’s not the end of the world.


I still have to mind my personal concerns. Our house which is said to be used by Japanese soldiers is under renovation. The foreman, no less is Kuya Jimmy. Anyways, he survived the fall but never went back to Japan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment